|The Museum||The Village Hall||The Windmill|
|The Rose and Crown||Steventon End||The War Memorial|
|The Allotments||All Saints Church||Ashdon Halt|
|Public Footpaths||The Countryside
The Ashdon Museum
The Ashdon Museum is one of our greatest and most cherished assets.
Thousands of treasured collectables reside in life-like rooms that have been carefully constructed to help explain Ashdon life in times past.
Enquiries to : Mr G Miller
The Village Hall
The Ashdon Village Hall is a great resource to the Parish, playing host to the Parish Council, a number of community groups, and various private and public events.
Part 18th century thatched building and part modern extension, the Village Hall has a fully appointed kitchen, toilets, the large main hall, and a smaller function room.
Village Hall Enquiries and Bookings can be made by contacting Janet Moore on 01799 584 510
The last of the mills in Ashdon, this typical East Anglian post mill, often known as Bragg's Mill after the last commercial operator John Bragg, is one of Ashdon's most cared-for landmarks.
The mill is in the final stages of a restoration project run by the Ashdon Windmill Trust.
The mill is open to the public on "Open Days", the second Sunday of each month from April to September. More details and contact information can be found on the Trust's website HERE.
The Rose and Crown Public House
Originally a 17th century coaching inn and according to some, patronised by Cromwell no less, the Rose and Crown has survived nearly 4 centuries to become the last remaining pub in Ashdon.
Once known as Bartlow Hamlet, the 24 homes in the settlement of Steventon End mark the north-eastern bounday of the Parish.
In terms of fame and folklore, probably the best known person from this part of Ashdon is, or was, Spike Mays, the author of several books on life in Ashdon in the early part of the 20th century.
His most famous work is Reuben's Corner, named after his grandfather Reuben Ford, and the bend in the road between their home and the Bonnet Inn. For more details on this publication and others, see our publications page HERE.
The War Memorial
Located in the centre of the village, the War Memorial was unveiled on 23rd October 1921 by Major General Sir S.W. Hare K.C.M.G. C.B.
A feature of many villages around England, the allotments are patches of land available to be rented on a yearly basis for the purpose of growing flowers and vegetables.
The Ashdon Village allotments can be found close to the Village Centre, by the main road opposite Carter's Croft.
To rent an allotment, contact Daisy Peach.
All Saints Church
All Saints Church sits at the top of the hill as you leave the village to the south, where it is thought that the original medieval settlement of Ascenduna lay.
The Grade 1 listed Church building that we see today was built around the 13th or 14th century, on top of, or replacing, the much earlier structure that pre-dated the Domesday Book.
For more information on All Saints Church, click on their web page HERE.
Ashdon Halt is still in existance at the lower end of Falloden Lane. It was opened in 1911 by the Great Eastern Railway, and its waiting-room, a dis-used carriage, opened in 1914. The halt serviced Ashdon train passengers on the Saffron Walden to Bartlow line.
The halt was closed in 1964 and although the track has been fully removed and the waiting-room is in disrepair, it can still be sighted from the road at the end of Fallowden Lane.
Click HERE for the Dis-used Stations Site Record.
Ashdon is blessed with a large number of public footpaths and bridleways.
Walking our footpaths is a great way to explore and understand Ashdon, and the OS Explorer Map 209, the article "A Walk in Ashdon", and Sarah Connatty's book "Ashdon Walks" (available in the village store) are all great guides.
Stand anywhere in Ashdon, then walk for a few minutes in any direction, and you will experience the beautiful open countryside that is our Parish.
Our river, our fields, our hills, farmland and woodland, birdlife and plantlife; all these work together to provide a most wonderful environment in which to live.