Parish Features and Landmarks Please scroll down, or click on one of these links...
The Museum is one of our greatest and most cherished assets.
Thousands of treasured collectables reside in life-like rooms that have been carefully constructed to help explain Ashdon life in times past.
The Ashdon Museum is open throughout the summer on Sunday and Wednesday afternoons,
from 2 till 5 pm. See their website at www.ashdonvillagemuseum.co.uk
Enquiries to : Mr G Miller
The last of the mills in Ashdon, this typical East Anglian post mill, often known as Bragg's Mill after the last commercial operator John Bragg, is one of Ashdon's most cared-for landmarks.
The mill is in the final stages of a restoration project run by the Ashdon Windmill Trust.
The mill is open to the public on "Open Days", the second Sunday of each month from April to September. More details and contact information can be found on the website from where this photo was taken.
A feature of many villages around England, the allotments are patches of land available to be rented on a yearly basis for the purpose of growing flowers and vegetables.
The Ashdon Village allotments can be found close to the Village Centre, by the main road opposite Carter's Croft.
To rent an allotment, contact Chris Lewis on 01799 585032
Ashdon Halt is still in existance at the lower end of Falloden Lane. It was opened in 1911 by the Great Eastern Railway, and its waiting-room, a dis-used carriage, opened in 1914. The halt serviced Ashdon train passengers on the Saffron Walden to Bartlow line.
The halt was closed in 1964 and although the track has been fully removed and the waiting-room is in disrepair, it can still be sighted from the road at the end of Fallowden Lane.
PLEASE NOTE: Ashdon Halt is on private land
Click HERE for the Dis-used Stations Site Record.
Located in the centre of the village, the War Memorial was unveiled on 23rd October 1921 by Major General Sir S.W. Hare K.C.M.G. C.B.
It is dedicated to those who died in the 1914-18 war and the second world war.
Elizabeth Everitt, of Nutts Farm, who died trying to rescue American airmen from a crashed aeroplane is also commemorated.
Originally a 17th century coaching inn and according to some, patronised by Cromwell no less, the Rose and Crown has survived nearly 4 centuries to become the last remaining pub in Ashdon. It's located in the very centre of the village, and is a Grade II listed building with exposed original timbers and a portion of wall in the Cromwell Lounge covered in 17th century paintings. It even has its very own ghost! The pub offers a full range of real ale, lager, wine and spirits. There is a main bar with inglenook fireplace, a family room where people can dine, and the Cromwell lounge with pool table and dart board.